Fisher Hoggarth’s history in Market Harborough is thought to date back to 1819 and records show land agent work connected with the Ecton Estate as far back as 1823. The company name went through various incarnations before being established as ‘Fisher Hoggarth’ in 1928. Some of our clients have longstanding relationships with us dating back well over 100 years including Rothwell Hospital and we have been continuous agents for the Turvey House Estate since 1903.
John German started the estate management business, managing Lord Belper’s family estate at Newton Burgoland, back in 1840. The story goes that he was hedge laying on the German family farm in Packington, near Ashby, when he received a message to say that he had got the job managing Lord Belper’s estate. Apparently, he threw down his tools and said to his father and brother he was off to be a Land Agent. Fisher German still manage Lord Belper’s estate at Kingston on Soar, which the family purchased in 1850.
Vine started in 1996 as the property management department of Collingwood Rigby looking after commercial property across the Midlands region. In 2003, Vine became its own dedicated property management business (known initially as IOG Property Management until 2006) setting up a national network of offices to manage commercial property across the UK. Vine continued its growth to a network of 100 staff across 10 offices managing over £2.7bn of assets, merging with Fisher German in 2019.
In 1865, a Surveyor and Auctioneer by the name of Marmaduke Matthews, established his business at 1 Albany Street in London. Although he primarily dealt with residential property, he also set up a furniture storage facility in what became known as the Albany Pantechnicon. He invited several family members into the firm and in 1887 it became Matthews and Matthews. In 1928 the firm was renamed Matthews & Goodman and over the last 40 years, the evolution of the business has included acquisition/mergers with firms which shared similar values and culture.